- Research on shale gas funded by the Department of Energy.
- Stable isotopes in fossil fuels (oil, coal, gas) reveal how original biological material, heat and time affected the chemical composition of sedimentary organic matter.
- Paleoclimatology of laminated sediments from the Santa Barbara Basin off California and in Vietnamese maars.
- Radon isotopes in soil-built dwellings in developing countries.
- Subterranean methanotrophic consumption of atmospheric methane.
- Development of organic hydrogen, carbon, and nitrogen stable isotope reference materials.
Schimmelmann Research resources